Greyfriars at Dunwich; one of the most important ancient monuments in Suffolk. The site has passed through many owners and had many uses over the centuries. The Saxons built a defensive ditch in the 10th and 11th centuries. Between 1290 and 1538 it became a Friary, being built in various stages. In 1538, it was surrendered to the Bishop of Dover during the Dissolution of the Monasteries, ordered by Henry VIII.
Subsequently it was turned into a house and during the 18th century became the town hall and gaol. In the 19th century the house was demolished and restored as a romantic ruin. During WWII it was a radar station. In 1980 it was bought by Suffolk County Council, and in 2013 handed over to the newly formed Dunwich Greyfriars Trust.